What is Best Doctors?
Best Doctors is a suite of services that enables people to draw on the knowledge of medical experts to make sure they have the right diagnosis, the right treatment and the right care. In the U.S., Best Doctors is offered by employers at no cost to employees and their families. It is also available from health plans as a policyholder benefit. Best Doctors helps its members:
- Confirm a diagnosis or treatment plan through an expert review of their medical records
- Get expert answers to questions about a medical condition
- Receive support when making treatment decisions
- Find a local medical specialist
Our services are 100% confidential and provided over the phone and through our proprietary web platform. There is no need to travel or visit doctors’ offices.
As a truly global benefits provider, we complement our U.S. services with high quality health insurance in Latin America, the Caribbean and Canada.
What services does Best Doctors provide in the U.S.?
Best Doctors provides four services to help members and their families make the right medical decisions:
- In-Depth Medical Reviews (InterConsultation®) – Through our InterConsultation® service, a member’s diagnosis and treatment plan are reviewed in detail by a leading physician expert. Our expert provides a comprehensive report, either confirming what the member has been told or recommending a change. It’s like getting a second opinion, only better.
- Ask the Expert – Members can get expert answers to basic questions about a diagnosis, treatment or a health condition. They call Best Doctors to discuss their concerns and we deliver their questions to the most appropriate specialist. We’ll even help determine what questions to ask.
- Find a Best Doctor™ – If a member needs to find a local specialist who is approved by his or her health plan, Best Doctors can help. We have a database of more than 53,000 medical experts in over 450 specialties and subspecialties. We’ll find the doctor who’s right for each member.
- Explore My Options™ - We help members understand all their treatment options, including drugs and medical procedures, before making a medical decision. We provide information, coaching and resources so that a member facing a medical challenge has a better idea of which step is best to take.
Who offers Best Doctors?
Best Doctors is a no-cost benefit provided by companies as part of their employee benefits package. It is also offered by health plans as a policyholder benefit.
Do members pay to use Best Doctors?
No. Best Doctors is either included in an employee’s benefits package at no charge or is part of the member’s health insurance policy. Any additional tests or services that may be required based on the Best Doctors recommendation are covered according to the provisions of the member’s health plan.
Why do employers and health plans offer Best Doctors?
Because they recognize the challenges and stresses that can occur when someone is uncertain about a medical diagnosis or treatment plan. Best Doctors helps people make medical decisions with confidence and ensures that they are getting the right care. It supplements the work of the member’s own doctor(s) and does not replace it.
Today, 37% of all medical diagnoses are wrong*. 75% of treatment plans require a correction*. 38% of surgeries are unnecessary*. With Best Doctors, members can be sure their diagnoses and treatment plans are right – and they can be confident they’re making the right decisions about their health.
* Best Doctors 2012 U.S. data; consistent with findings of The American Journal of Medicine, The Journal of the American Medical Association and numerous other scholarly publications.
What types of medical conditions qualify for Best Doctors?
Best Doctors provides services for a wide range of medical conditions. They can include everything from back pain and sports injuries to chronic diseases and life-threatening illnesses. Best Doctors does not provide services for mental health disorders as in-person evaluations are more appropriate.
Do Best Doctors members have to travel or collect their own medical records?
No. The member makes a confidential call to Best Doctors and we’ll handle everything on his/her behalf. All contact with Best Doctors is over the phone or the Internet. Members do not need to travel, visit doctors’ offices or contact their own doctor(s) to obtain records, scans or other information related to their case.
Who are the doctors Best Doctors uses?
Best Doctors physicians include the world’s top medical specialists. They are selected by other doctors through a comprehensive review process. Best Doctors surveys physicians nationwide to find out which doctors they trust most. Every physician in the survey is asked, “If you or a loved one needed a doctor in a certain specialty, who would you choose?”
At present, the Best Doctors in America™ database includes over 53,000 physicians representing more than 450 medical specialties and subspecialties. Doctors cannot pay to be included on the Best Doctors list or nominate themselves for consideration.
Do members have to follow Best Doctors' recommendations?
No. Members remain in full control of their healthcare decision-making. The information they receive from Best Doctors is intended to help them make confident decisions regarding their diagnosis and/or treatment plan. Only the member can decide to share the Best Doctors report with his/her treating physician. Best Doctors will not share the report with the member’s physician unless the member authorizes it.
How has Best Doctors helped its members?
There are many examples of Best Doctors helping patients with everything from minor surgery to life-threatening illnesses. To read our patients’ stories or watch their videos, click here.
How does Best Doctors work with treating physicians?
Best Doctors shares its expert’s findings with the member first — and only with the member. Best Doctors will share the expert’s report with the member’s treating physician only if authorized to do so by the member. We will not share the report without the member’s consent. Our goal is to provide useful information so that the member and his/her treating physician can make informed decisions together regarding treatment.
Most doctors find that collaboration with other experts is very helpful, especially in complex situations. Best Doctors enables doctors to collaborate in a new way.
Isn't asking for a second opinion from Best Doctors insulting to the treating physician?
Not at all. In fact, the opposite is true — Best Doctors has received a warm response from the medical community. Treating physicians who have worked with Best Doctors appreciate having access to respected experts in their field of practice. They also gain access to information regarding innovative diagnostic and treatment protocols that might not be available in their local community.
How does Best Doctors maintain member privacy?
How do you know if you're eligible for Best Doctors?
You are eligible for Best Doctors if your employee benefits package includes our services or if they are offered as part of your health insurance. If Best Doctors is included in your insurance or employee benefit plan, your family members may also be covered. Please speak with your company’s Human Resources representative or your health insurance organization to find out more.
Is Best Doctors a list company?
No. For more than 20 years, Best Doctors has conducted one of the largest, ongoing peer-to-peer physician surveys within healthcare to identify the doctors other doctors trust most. Best Doctors maintains a proprietary database—free from commercial and financial bias—of more than 53,000 physicians in over 450 specialties and subspecialties worldwide, who lend their diagnostic decision support expertise to treating physicians to ensure the highest quality of care is delivered at the local level.